Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I'd rather be sitting in a boat thinking about God, than sitting in a church thinking about fishing

Summer flew by for the Pastors. here are a few of the exciting things from this past summer.

Mom and Dad came to visit us for Memorial day weekend. We took them to the cute little town of Manitou Springs (where I previously worked). We took the cog railway up to the top of pikes peak- it was our first real "touristy" thing that we've done here. The cog railway takes you all the way the 14,000 ft. summit of Pikes Peak. I'm so glad we went in May. It was about 30 degrees colder at the top of the mountain than when we got on the train. (Pikes Peak is famous for the song it inspired, you may have heard of it. It starts "Oh beautiful for spacious skies..." and the song does not do it justice.)

Another exciting/ life altering episode happened in July. I attempted to skateboard- which I have done before, but I guess I forgot how, since I fell off the board almost immediately. After some painful hobbling and almost 24 hours of denial, we decided to go to urgent care. I had actually broken my foot and was told I need to wear a boot for the next 6- 8 weeks. I would like to blame my broken foot for the fact that I stopped working out and put my "winter coat" on a few months early this year. I got to take the boot off the last week of August, which was perfect timing, because I had just started my new job.

 Fall Begins


 My job shouldn't really be called "work" it's more like "play". I nanny for a family with 3 kids. I pick them up from school and help them do their homework. It is perfect for me- I get to use my education knowledge and help each kid learn. I'm helping the first grader read and practice his cursive (he goes to a charter school and they are only allowed to write in cursive!). I helped the fifth grader, who struggles in school, to learn how to divide last week. It was amazing. She took almost a month to trust me to help her with her homework, but when she finally did, I helped her understand division in her own way. After staying a little late,she was able to walk through a division problem on her own. They  also a seventh grader, who is kept busy with all the quizzes and test his teachers give him- which gives me the opportunity to re-learn everything from seventh grade. Fridays are my favorite day of work/play. The first grader gets out of school at 1:30 and we have all afternoon to do whatever we want. We have done things like go to the zoo, a ton of different parks, made some Halloween foam houses, and this past Friday, we went out and collected leaves from all over his yard, and then taped them to the back of a sheet of paper and colored over them. We ended up with a beautiful collage of fall leaves. He was amazed at how it worked.



Andrew and I also celebrated our first anniversary on September 2. Andrew took me out to dinner at The Melting Pot. The night was wonderful! They had the best dessert, it was a berry peanut butter chocolate fondue, and you could taste every aspect of the dessert. I decided that I need to save up and get us a fondue pot. Funny enough, a few weeks later I was organizing the kitchen- one of my new favorite things- and I found out that we had already bought a fondue set with some of our wedding gift money from a year ago. It was such a pleasant surprise. I love when I think ahead without having to think ahead.

We went camping for the first time together, and got to bust out all the awesome camping gear we got. Andrew had so much fun setting up and taking down the tent. We went with a few families from church and adopted some of their kids to play with and keep under control in the wild. Breakfast in the morning was enough to feed an army, causing me to eat a ton- it was just so good. I love the appetite camping gives me. It was so great being away from the world for a while.


Most recently, I have gotten into crocheting again. I actually know how to read crochet patterns I've made a couple of baby hats, and adults hats. I can't put pictures of them up, because one is a gift :).We also took our first fishing trip. We went with some friends to a lake about an hour and a half away from the springs. We were fishing for trout and our limit was 16 fish for the day. We finished the day with 15 fish (and another 5 that got away) and some pretty bad sunburns. (Mine was worse than Andrews of course.) But it was well worth it. I don't know why people complain about fishing being boring, We had a great time and plan to go again sometime soon. I think the saying is true- that it is better to be sitting in a boat thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about fishing.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are cute! Didn't know you went fishing and camping. How fun!

    ReplyDelete